Asphalt is a mixture of aggregates (stone, gravel and sand) and binders(bitumen).Bitumen is the black material that holds the aggregates together. Generally aggregates make up to 95% of hot mix asphalt pavement and the remaining 5% is bitumen. Asphalt is one of the most popular paving materials as it is durable, long-lasting and inexpensive.
Types Of Asphalt
Mastic Asphalt is virtually waterproof and is a good choice for anywhere that water is a concern. The reason for this is because of the high concentration of bitumen. It is often used on residential and commercial roofing for its waterproofing abilities.
Hot Mix Asphalt
Is produced in high temperatures between 150 -190 Celsius. Since hot mix is highly durable it is used for main roads, highways and airports as it can handle high volumes of traffic.Hot mix can cool quickly so it cannot be transported for long distances before being used.
Warm Mix Asphalt
Generally produced at temperatures 20-40 Celsius lower then hot mix asphalt. While this does result in the road opening earlier, improved safety for workers and better for the environment (less fossil fuels), it does not posses the same durability of hot mix asphalt.
How to calculate how much Asphalt you need
First, measure the length and width in feet of the area and then measure the depth in inches.
Let's say our driveway is 12 feet long, 8 feet in width and 4 inches deep.
We convert our depth into feet: 4/12 = 0.33
Now we multiply them by each other :12 X 8 X 0.33 = 31.68, this is our volume (cubic feet)
Now we need to multiply the volume of the area by the density of the asphalt(usually 145 or 150 pounds per cubic foot): 150 X 31.68 = 4,752 pounds
To convert to tons we divide 4,752 by 2000: 4752/2000 = 2.376 tons of asphalt are needed for the driveway.
CalculationWorld.com and its contributors will not be liable for any damage or loss resulting from the use of the content or the tools in this website.
THE MATERIALS IN THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.