How to Use Modulo Calculator
Enter two number you would like to get the modulo of.
How to calculate modulo
- Let's pick our starting numbers as 10 and the divisor is 3
- We divide one by the other: 10/3 = 3
- The quotient is 3
- Mulitply the divisor by the quotient 3 X 3 = 9
- We then subtract this from the original number 10-9 =1
- Therefore 10 mod 3 = 1
- Let's pick our starting numbers as 350 and the divisor is 16
- We divide one by the other: 350/16 = 21
- The quotient is 21
- Mulitply the divisor by the quotient 21 X 16 = 336
- We then subtract this from the original number 350-336 = 14
- Therefore 350 mod 16 = 14
Definition: Modulo operation finds the remainder after a division is done of one number by another.
Whenever you seek the remainder of a division, modulo comes into play. Some cases of using modulo are to find if a number is even or uneven and clock arithmetic. If you go to sleep at 12am you cannot add 7 hours of sleep to it and say you wake up at 19am, clocks reset. If you do not use a 24hr clock the time you mod 7 by 12 to get 7am. Using a 24hr clock it is 7 mod 24 for the time.
Often when using modulo, it is expressed as a mod b, sometimes it can also be expressed as a % b. A is known as the dividend, mod as the modulus operator and Y is the divisor. The result is the remainder from dividing a by b. When you are using modulo think of it as the remainder after you do division.